Saturday, June 27, 2009

Rewiring for a longer walk

.
.
.
Walk has come my rescue every time I felt that I will not be able to move anymore. Any activity done consistently can help form patterns in the brain which inturn helps you to master that activity and do it without much of fuss, this is what I professed in my training programs. I tried doing this with walking.

I have taken up physical activities so very often and dropped only to take it up again. I have never managed to do it consistently. So Feb 09 I decided I must start, 'this time focus on consistency and not distance" I told myself. I started with a short trip around the block, within 10 days I got into the flow. I found myself waking up, regardless of the time, moving straight to my socks and shoe and walking off. This short walk was hardly for 10-15 minutes. But it was effective.

After a month I wanted to stretch myself and I made it a 20 minute walk, and I thought I would systematically progress and move into the 1 hr block over a period of 6 months, well that was what I was planning.

For no reason, at least I cannot fathom, I stopped my walk. The result was a sedantry lifestyle in front of the computer and I reached point that I became so weak and could not stand.

June 21st 2009 I started my walk or a short trek for 30 minutes, with a painful heel I decided to have a go. It was a real struggle but I slowly trudged along. Came home I felt much better. Nest day I went for a longer one, this time for 1 hour, with a break in between - a slow trek once again. The heal was still paining but I decided to unplug and go ahead. I did this for the next two days, then came my BIG WALK from Annanagar to Beach, 150 minutes, I became a lot confident. Took a days break and continued with my regular 1 hr stretch and completed it in 50 minutes, my walk has become brisker.

I realized, that the boundaries are set in the mind. Need to constantly rewire to get the best out of life. "A perfectly, smoothly running system, without any default is a close system that can only evolve through a major commotion: the evolution occurs through revolutions" Xavier Le Pichon (link to an article you should never miss)

Its the weakness within that can make you think differently. "So let the weak say Iam strong" makes sense now
.
.
.

No comments: