Sunday, June 26, 2011

Mathew 6:33 my views

My friend on Facebook, Thomas Raju, put up this wonderful Bible verse as an update.  Quoting Mathew 6:33 which says -But seek (aim at and strive after) first of all His kingdom and His righteousness (His way of doing and being right), and then all these things taken together will be given you besides.  Having been brought up in a churched christian household such passages are so often mentioned and even sung at church and at home that we really dont get the grasp of this.

In one my lectures, to a very non christian group, I quoted this verse in a very different context only then it made sense to me, and I started pursuing it.

I did a small demo to the participants.  I kept a nice piece of cake a bottle of Soda pop and a book on the table.  Now I urged the participants to choose one honestly - and most of them chose the cake (quite obviously)  I told that this was a very predictable behavior.  Why didnt anyone choose the book?  Because the attractiveness of the cake was so powerful that the book was not seen at all.  This I told them, was the seduction of the world and its riches and pleasures there off.  Its the broad road to disaster.  

Why did I choose the BOOK. When i said book, it meant WORD.  My understanding of Mathew 6:33 hinges on the John 1 : 1  IN THE beginning [before all time] was the Word ([a]Christ), and the Word was with God, and the Word was God [b]Himself.

The primacy of the word is established here.  Now seeking Gods kingdom simply means make the the WORD the primary activity in ones life.  Forgetting all else - food, family, children, pleasure, work - giving importance to the WORD.  Which would actually mean setting you mind to seek the riches of the kingdom of God through committing oneself to reading the text that has been shared by saints over the centuries.

Is this easy?  Certainly not.  

Posted via email from wordcreates's posterous

No comments: